The CTRD Trust is constantly looking for motivated volunteers to work on a variety of projects. Volunteers will live at the CTRD campus located amongst the beautiful and peaceful tea estates and forests of the Nilgiri Hills, and will be provided with full board, lodgings and local transport.
Ideally we are seeking long-term volunteers who can assist the administration team in producing written materials such as reports, information packs, grant applications to international funding and donor agencies, website material, newsletters and more. This position would be ideal for someone with a research interest in the work of development NGOs, and tribal and rural communities. The candidates' time can be split between the needs of CTRD and their own research. CTRD is an ideal place to conduct research in surrounding tribal villages and to engage with the wider issues concerning rural development.
We also encourage and are able to place shorter term volunteers who could assist the CTRD team. We receive regular volunteers and academics from all over the world who have all contributed to CTRD in different ways. CTRD works in a variety of developmental fields including education, health issues, women's empowerment, food security, improving the livelihood, as well as having a strong focus on income generation especially through enhanced agricultural practices and marketing.
The agricultural approach focuses on to improve the local tea production and sustain higher prices through fair trade and organic agriculture. We are currently looking for volunteers who are especially interested and qualified in agriculture and marketing. Marketing knowledge is particularly required to build and maintain trade relations at the tea markets in Germany and France since the new established and by tribal people owned tea factory is starting to export to those countries.
Essential qualifications are:
- ability to work independently and self-conscientiously
- excellent English writing skills
- being passionate about working for a NGO and their goals and objectives
- very good knowledge in MS Office
- Experience in fundraising
- Research background
- Knowledge in International development issues
- Knowledge in agriculture and/or marketing
- Grassroots NGO backgrounds
In return CTRD offers:
- Full board and lodging
- Friendly working environment
- Beautiful rural surroundings in between national parks and tea plantations
- Opportunity to do your own research project in the field of rural tribal development
- Join a community of academics and short term volunteers who regularly visit CTRD
- The chance to develop your own projects linked to CTRD's sustainability objectives
- The possibility to visit many of south India’s tourist spots such as Ooty, Mysore, Chochin, the Kerala backwaters or several national parks, which are all close to the CTRD head office.
€150 per month. The cost covers food, lodging and local transport. €70 goes towards expenses while the remaining €80 goes towards project costs.
If you are interested in offering your time and experience to support CTRD's extremely worthwhile and much needed sustainable projects and initiatives, please fill in and submit the online volunteer form and we will get back to you shortly.